Friday, August 12, 2011

Timing

Timing. It’s important in almost every aspect of life.

When my husband is delivering a sermon, timing is important when he illustrates the point he is making. A question can be asked in a court of law and timing can affect the way it is asked or the answer that is given. A comedian knows that bad timing can hurt the bit in the routine…bad timing and the joke could end up being a dud.

My ‘timing’ problem isn’t earth shattering, and years from now it won’t make any difference. But this weekend, my graduating class from East Clinton High School will get together for our 40th reunion and I’ll be seeing old friends for the first time in a long time…some I haven’t seen since that day we received our diplomas and turned our tassels back in 1971. (side note…does anyone else think ‘turning our tassels’ sounds a little like it could be taken sooooo many different ways?)

But I digress: my timing problem is that my 58 year-old face will be sporting a pimple this weekend. A zit. A pore in my skin has become inflamed. Just yesterday it was a minor irritation that I didn’t think anything of. Today it has taken on a life of it’s own. I’m thinking of naming it after someone who really irritates me, but there are too many choices to narrow down to one name.

After mentioning the pimple on my facebook status, I’ve received several suggested “cures” for my problem: hemorrhoid cream, zit cream, eye drops and Windex. Maybe if I try all of them, I’ll sit more comfortably and see clearly! ☺

Then there is another thing I could do: put on my makeup just as I normally do, but add a little “Cindy-Crawford-mole-look” to it by using my eyeliner on the zit. But if I do that, could a little speck of the eyeliner somehow creep into my skin and make a permanent brown mark in that pore? Or could I end up sweating and instead of having a little brown dot on my face, I’d end up with a racing stripe? Hello, Tammy Faye Bakker!

One bad thing about this particular pimple is its location. It would be so much better if it were around my hairline just as so many have been in the past. I can pull some wisps of hair around in just the right spot and – voila – invisible zit!!! But nooooooo. My pimple isn’t around the hairline. It is directly under my left nostril. As I posted on facebook: it ain’t right. It just ain’t right.

Maybe at this reunion we’ll all be so busy looking at how bald some of the guys are and how much older all of us look that no one will notice how the skin under my nose is going through puberty.

P.S. Since I posted my zitty status on facebook, I’ve found out that one friend’s face will be sporting a chin zit…another smashed her toe at work this week and it will likely be sporting a dinosaur band-aid in her sandals…and the homecoming queen shut her van’s rear door on her nose which now has a cut on it. Must be something going around. Or Murphy’s Law. Or just plain everyday life.



Always remember that if you have a pulse, you have a purpose…so make your life count!

1 comment:

  1. Nerves - it happens every time! Just when you want to be and/or look perfect, a blemish keeps us down! No more chocolate for a while! Have a fantastic time at the reunion. Mary Kay has some pretty good cover-up products, speaking from experience here.

    ReplyDelete