Monday, July 18, 2011

"Hep, me, Momma...hep me!"


It’s hot!
How hot is it?
It’s hotter than a firecracker in July.
It’s hotter than Hades.
It’s hotter than an oven.
It’s so hot that I’m taking cold showers and it’s not for the normal reason!
It’s so hot that I’m thinking about Christmas!

Our daughter, Hannah Beth, was fascinated with our Christmas tree each year. Her first Christmas - age 3 months - I would put her in her 'Kangarockeroo' seat while I'd be working on some projects on the floor beside her. She would stare at all those lights for the longest time! If I moved her to another location in the room, she'd be checking everything out, then find the lights and stare again!

When she was older and talking a little bit, we would see a Christmas tree...any tree...and the conversation was always the same.

Me: ooooooh, Hannah Beth, isn't that pretty?

HB: uh-huh.

Me: what is that?

HB: (stern look on her face and shaking her finger) no-no-no!

Then there was the year that I'd decorated the tree, hoping that she would still just be fascinated with the lights. Every time she'd get uncomfortably close to the tree, I'd say: "no-no, Hannah...look with your eyes and not your hands." That worked. For a while.

Then her curiosity got the best of her! When I'd decorated the tree that year, I put the 'special' ornaments and any glass ornaments up pretty high so they'd be safe. Hannah Beth still knew to look with her eyes and not her hands, but Momma was on the telephone...and HB was in the living room. All alone. And there was a tree. And there were ornaments on that tree that had pictures of her in them. These were things she must see! In the midst of a long-distance conversation (does anybody still make long distance calls?!?!?) with my friend Ninkey, suddenly there is a crash. I threw the phone down and ran into the living room just as my beautiful little girl hollered, "Hep me, Momma! Hep me!" She had pulled a tall lightweight chair around, stood on it and must have reached up to touch some of those 'special' ornaments and pulled the tree over. Things lay there in this order: the floor, Hannah, the chair (which was tall enough to have her pinned in and protecting her from all those branches, etc. poking her in the eyes) and last - the tree. She wasn't crying. She wasn't scared. She just 'needed' some hep! She'll soon be 26 years old. And every once in a while, when she needs her momma...she'll know that I'll be there to hep her.

I am getting ready for a three-week trip...not a vacation...but a ten-day camp, some family visits and my 40th high school class reunion. Before I go there is soooooooo much to be done! I get a little overwhelmed sometimes as I think about leaving here in one week...not seeing my hubby during those weeks because he'll be here at home...and all the things I need to be doing to get ready. I need hep! I lean a bit toward the anal retentive personality and have to have everything 'just so' before I go. I have to-do lists, last minute shopping, and boxes that i'm filling and music that must be chosen before I ever leave home (because I'll be leading the music at this ten-day camp). Every once-in-a-while I get a little stressed thinking of all there is yet to do. Prayers on my behalf would be welcome and appreciated.

I have a prayer someone shared with me that hangs just above my computer screen and is a reminder of how really anal retentive I am! Allow me to share it with you...

Lord, help me to relax about insignificant details, beginning tomorrow at 7:41 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

God, help me to consider people's feelings even if most of them ARE hypersensitive.

And help me not try to run everything. But if you need some help, please feel free to ASK me!

Help me to take responsibility for my own actions, even though they are usually NOT my fault.

Lord, help me to be more laid back, and help me to do it EXACTLY right!

God, help me to take things more seriously, especially laughter parties and dancing.

God, I need patience and I want you to give it to me NOW!

Please help me not be a perfectionist in everything I do. (is that spelled correctly?)

And Lord, help me to finish everything that I sta


Guess I should say “Amen” on the end of that prayer. Okay, Lord...I know you'll empower me to get all this done, so I won't stress out at every turn. Thanks for the hep, Lord!




Always remember that if you have a pulse, you have a purpose...so make your life count!

1 comment:

  1. Just like a good sermon! His messages is heard through your writing and always at the time I need it most! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete