Thursday, December 23, 2010

Foolproof Fudge (even I can't mess it up!)


The recipe for microwaved Fantasy Fudge was on the back of a Kraft Marshmallow Creme jar many years ago and is to be used for the microwave only. I'm not sure why the people from Kraft chose to stop putting the microwaved version out there, but maybe it's because not everyone's microwaves are the same. I think this recipe should only be used for those who have powerful microwave ovens. I love my Whirlpool and this recipe turns out perfectly every single time!

I hope you'll enjoy this recipe. My Aunt Berniece (Bruner) Moore made Fantasy Fudge for many years, but prepared hers on top of the stove. I was never very successful with the stove fudge or a candy thermometer, so I was very happy to try it in the microwave.


EASY FANTASY FUDGE

Prepare a 13x9 or 9 inch square pan by lightly greasing it before starting your recipe. You will need a 4 quart microwavable bowl for this recipe.

1 1/2 sticks margerine
3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips, plus 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter)
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Microwave margerine one minute or until melted.
Add sugar and evaporated milk; mix well.
Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Mix well; scrape bowl. Then microwave on HIGH for another 5 to 5 1/2 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. (Depending on your microwave, you'll have to decide how much time is right.  One microwave I had, I only needed 5 minutes...another one took 5 1/2.  The one I have now takes 5 minutes, 20 seconds to get the right texture.  Hits and misses helped me find that perfect time!). 
Gradually stir in chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients, in order listed; mix well.  (Vanilla goes in last.  There's a reason.  It's kind of what helps start the thickening process...in my opinion.). 
Pour into prepared pan. Cool at room temperature before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container. Makes 3 pounds.

A couple of personal notes
  • If you are making this recipe with peanut butter, the reason for the 1/2 cup peanut butter addition is that the peanut butter chips come in a smaller weight than the chocolate. 
  • I've always made several batches of fudge in a row. I learned the hard way that your spoon needs to be completely dry when you add and stir in the chips and marshmallow creme. I used to stir with my favorite wooden spoon and would wash it in between batches of fudge. The wooden spoon tended to not be completely dry when I'd work with it on the second batch. What happened is that the fudge would suddenly turn grainy and harden much too fast to work with. I learned my lesson...and in the process, realized that an introduction of another liquid such as vanilla flavoring should always be added right at the end of the recipe!
  • Making fudge when the outdoor humidity is high - or it's raining - you'll end up with fudge that's grainy and hard.  Check your weather forecast when you plan to make fudge.






(Remember that if you have a pulse...you have a purpose! Make your life count!)

No comments:

Post a Comment