Monday, June 17, 2013


I try to keep my blog postings upbeat and funny, but today I had a meltdown of major proportions.

It happened at the Post Office in our town where everything was moving along just as it always does. I stood in line with a couple of packages and waited my turn. As usual, it was a long line since that is the only P.O. in Cleveland, TN. The postal worker at the window on the far left was the next person available to assist me.

I had two packages to mail. One heading to Oregon and the other to Ohio. I asked for tracking numbers for both of them, then tears began to flow. As much as I bit my lip and tried to hold them back...they were relentless and fell down my cheeks.

The postal worker looked at me and asked if I was okay.

No. And then I whispered to her through my tears that I was mailing the last of my late sister’s jewelry. And the realization of that hit me as I stood before her. She reached across the counter and took my hand in hers...shared that she understood my hurt and to not apologize for the tears. She said she understood. She'd lost both of her parents.

I think about her every day and have finally reached the point where thoughts of her bring more smiles than tears. But that wasn’t the case today.

Right after she died, Vangie’s husband asked me to disperse her jewelry. She and I had talked about it many times and I knew who was to get what...so I took care of it. Lots of family and close friends have things to remember my sissie by...and I kept some things that were meaningful to me. So today, I packaged up some earrings for her husband’s cousin and then put the remaining pieces of costume jewelry in an envelope for him.

And here I was...crying to a postal worker holding my hand. We didn’t know each other. I’ve seen her a few times, but don’t know her name. I can tell you this, though...I’ll never forget her face. And if I run into her in a grocery aisle somewhere, I’ll tell her what she did for me today. She comforted me. It didn’t take long, for which I’m sure the other customers were glad about. She just took my hand, made a remark, gave it an extra squeeze and I was on my way.

Thankfully, I didn’t run into anyone on my way out the door. I unlocked my car, dropped in the seat and cried like a baby.

It all seemed so final. She really is gone.

And I still have the best of her in my heart.

I always end my blogs with this reminder, and today’s is no different...
“If you have a pulse, then you have a purpose. Make your life count!” The woman at the post office window probably has no idea, but she did that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment